Office : Room 504, Department of Geography
Phone : 886-2-33665835
Professor Jinn-Guey Lay is the director of Geographic Information Research Center of the Department of Geography. He also serves as the Population Research Team leader of the Population and Gender Research Center of NTU. He is responsible for research and developing textbooks for high school students. His three main research areas and interests are geographic information, geographic education, and land use/cover change (LUCC).
Research interests: information technology and geographic education, old maps and historical GIS , spatial exploratory analysis
Ph. D. in Geography, University of Hawaii at Manoa, 1993
M. A.in Geography, University of Hawaii at Manoa, 1987
B. S. in Geography, National Taiwan University, 1981
In the past, his major researches have included the following:
1. Settlements development and change study: Compiling Taiwan’s various topological maps from the past hundred years, digitizing and integrating the maps; using these data to further analyze spatial pattern of settlements.
2. Map generalization and quality study: Studying the quality of spatial and attribute data of Taiwan’s topological maps.
3. Analysis and modeling of geographic information: Applying the methods of spatial analysis and modeling on social economic issues, such as: election, disease and population issues.
4. Maps and spatial cognition: Using GIS techniques to analyze the information and quality of old maps, thereby analyzing cartographers’ understanding and perspective of Taiwan’s early environment.
5. Geographic education: Devoting to geographic education research in recent years, especially emphasizing high school students’ map and geographic skills.
Cartography and Laboratory
Seminar of Geographic Education Seminar of Geographic Information Systems
Digital Terrain Modeling
Geographic Information Analysis and Modeling
Environment Resource Geographic Information Systems
2012 Excellent Publication Research Award(Project management fees), NTU, Taiwan
2011 Excellent Publication Research Award(Project management fees), NTU, Taiwan
2011 "Category A" Publication Research Award, NTU, Taiwan
2010 Excellent Publication Research Award(Project management fees), NTU, Taiwan
2006 Outstanding Teaching Award (University), NTU, Taiwan
2006 Excellent Publication Research Award, NTU, Taiwan